Ricky recently asked me if it was possible to make a healthy vegan rice crispy treats. He loves them, and was explaining to a co-worker that the original recipe isn’t vegan (standard marshmallows contain gelatin, a pretty yucky animal product). I knew that I could get my hands on vegan marshmallows, but thought it would be even better to develop a less processed alternative. I quickly turned my mind turned to the task and set out to develop a healthy and delicious alternative to this tasty childhood classic treat.Sweet treats seem to be the area where people are the most willing to cut corners and buy pre-packaged products. This boggles my mind because not only are those products filled with totally unnecessary chemical junk, but it is so simple to recreate them with less than 5 ingredients and almost no time. These rice crispy treats are both ridiculously easy and incredibly tasty. I was actually totally surprised at how simple it was to basically just dump everything together in a bowl, mix it up and pop it in the freezer. Wait a little while and voila – tasty treats that took no work at all!
There are so many twists that could be made to this recipe. You can do a plain classic version, the chocolate topped one like I’ve done here, or you could mix in some nut butter, coconut shreds or dried fruit and nuts – the options are endless. Next time I think I might try adding a 1/2 cup of peanut butter and seeing how that goes (umm peanut butter chocolate rice crispies!? Yes please!!).
- FOR THE RICE CRISPIES
- 4 cups brown rice crisp cereal
- ⅔ cup brown rice syrup
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- FOR THE CHOCOLATE TOPPING
- ½ cup virgin coconut oil
- ½ cup cocoa or cacao powder, sifted if necessary
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- Combine the coconut oil and brown rice syrup in a saucepan over medium heat, and bring to a boil. Boil for one minute, then remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract and salt.
- Pour the cereal into a large mixing bowl.
- Stir the syrup mixture into the cereal and mix well until the cereal is evenly coated.
- Line a 10-inch baking sheet with parchment paper and pour the cereal mixture into the pan.
- Use an additional piece of parchment paper over the top of the cereal, to keep your hands from getting sticky, then press very firmly to pack the cereal tightly into the bottom of the pan - don't be afraid to really pack it down!
- For the chocolate topping, in a medium saucepan melt the coconut oil over low heat.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the cocoa (or cacao) powder and maple syrup. Mix well and pour into the pan.
- Place the bars into the freezer to cool for 45 minutes, remove and let thaw before serving.
- Store any leftover bars in a sealed container in the fridge for best shelf life.
Let me know how your rice crispy treats turn out, and if you have any other flavour options in the comments below!
Lots of love,